Sunday, January 18, 2009

Catalina 1-17-2009

Dive Site: Land's End Catalina Island
Dive Date: 2009-01-17
Dive Number: 85
Start Time: 10:35
Dive Buddy: Alberto
Bottom Time: :35
Max Depth: 70 ft
Water Temperature: 55 F
Water Visibility: 15-20 ft
Dive Type: Boat
Difficulty Level: Advanced

Our first dive of the day was on the west end of Catalina Island. There was a slight current so we headed towards the front of the boat to descend to around 70 Feet and went in that direction. The water was cold for me at that dept since I had a 7 mil wetsuit. Alberto was wearing a drysuit so he was more comfortable. I will be getting my drysuit cert next week and am looking forward to it. It got warmer as we ascended to a shallower dept. I took several pictures while diving. Alberto spotted a 6 foot Blue Shark, but when he gave me the signal, it was already long gone. Here is what a Blue Shark looks like.

There was also a lot of surge when we did our 15 foot 3 min safty stop that we could not stay at 15 feet. The surge rolled me over to the other side of a rock so I swam to the other side and grabbed hold to some kelp maintain my dept. We ascended near bow side of the boat and swam back to the ladder. A lot of divers on the boat ascended behind the boat because of the current. Towards the end of the dive my camera did not seem to be functioning correctly. When I got on the boat, I discovered that the housing had water in it and the camera was not working properly. I was able to upload them to my computer when I got home and the camera seemed to be working fine then.

No comments: