Thursday, November 20, 2008

Dead Mans Reef 11/15/2008

Dive #: 80

Start Time: 8:21am

End Time: 8:47am


Dive Time- 26 Min


Water Temperature- 59 F


Max Dept- 47 feet


Buddies- Matt, Steve, Jason, John, Walid


After Gearing up and getting down to the beach, we had to swim 300 yards to the reef. After a hard workout, we looked for the reef using Steve's Dept gauge. It took a while to find it. Once we found it, we ascended to between 30 and 40 feet. I rented steel 70 tank at the dive shop, but it only had 2000 pounds of air, so my dive was going to be short as well as my buddy's. We paired into buddy groups of two. I paired up with Jason. We were able to find the reef while the other groups struggled to find it. There was an abundance of marine life around the reef and the visibility was decent at around 15 feet for that area. When we were ready to turn around and go back to the beach, we both separated from one another. I looked for a couple of minutes and went to 15 feet to do a 3 minute safety stop and get to the surface. When I got to the surface, It took a couple of minutes to find my dive buddy. We swam back to the beach and waited for the others and got ready for the 2nd dive. Note to self, dive with at least an 80 tank.





Dive #:81

Start Time: 10:36am

End Time: 11:13am

Dive Time: 47 minutes

Buddies: Walid and John

This time we Started the dive at North Crescent. John was going to do some sphere fishing. Me and Walid just followed him. We headed in the South West Direction towards Dead mans and Seal Rock. Visibility was great for those locations away from the coast(Between 15-20). John caught one fish during the dive. I do not remeber what kind (need to take fish identification to learn more about the sea life). The dive lasted for 47 minutes. After we made our safety stop and ascended to the surface, we swam back to shore. I could not believe how much we got to see on one dive. This was a much better dive compared to the other dive where I started at 2000 psi. Jason let me borrow his aluminum 80, which had 3,000 psi. I ended the dive with around 300 psi.

No comments: