Friday, November 21, 2008

Dry Suit Diving

I have been diving for almost five years now. Most of my dives take place in cold water below 60F. I have always dove in a 7 mil wetsuit with hood when diving in water that cold. I enjoy going to the tropics where there is 80F Water, but I find that to be really expensive and I do not dive there as often as I do in California. Towards the end of the dive, I find myself cold and trying to work to stay warm which uses up more air and when I do multiple dives on a dive boat, I get colder on every dive.

This is why I have decided that it is time for me to get a dry suit. I am planning on doing the specialty course sometime in December. I hope to find it to be a good experience. I am pretty sure I will have a better time diving dry than diving wet. Since dry suits are more expensive than wetsuits, I have put off diving in a dry suit. However, there are many places in the world to go diving other than the tropics which I am missing out on since they require a dry suit. This includes diving in water near freezing. I have always wanted to dive in colder water, but I know I will need to invest between $1,500 and $2,000 in a dry suit. The nice thing about them is that they last long and I am very sure that I will want to go diving more often and will extend my dives.

Stay tuned for more posts in the future.

No comments: