Sunday, November 23, 2008

Dead Mans Reef 11/22/2008

Dive # 82
Time In-8:07
Time Out-8:53
Buddies-Matt, Steve, John
Dept-65
Time-46 Min
Water Temperature-61
Visibility 20-25
This was a great dive, even thought we had to kick out 300 yards to get to Dead Mans Reef. On the way out to the site, we saw a sea lion and it stayed with us for a while. I took some pictures of it swimming.



For those of you who are wondering where this site is, you start out at North Crescent and swim about 300 yards out. In the picture below, you will see two rocks sticking out of the water and a house with a blue roof directly behind it. You need to line up the rocks with the house with the blue roof and you will be around the reef.


We then descended to the dive site below us. The vis was 20-25 feet, which is very good for Laguna Beach. We stayed down for about 46 minutes. I was using a steel tank that I just bought the week before. I enjoyed not having to fight staying down towards the end of the dive and having to carry less weight. I did have to dive with an aluminum on the next dive. I plan on getting another steel tank eventually. Here are some pictures that I took during this dive. I forgot to check the batteries to see if they were good for the whole dive and the camera kept on shutting off after I took every picture.






Dive #: 83
Time in-10:08
Time Out-10:54
Buddy-John
Depth-47 Feet
Bottom Time-46
Water Temp-61
Visibility-20-25ft
This time we started out at North Crescent and headed south towards Dead Man's Reef. I did not bring my camera on this dive because the batteries were dead. John did bring his sphere gun on this dive and caught some good looking fish. However, one which he caught before got away in the process of catching another fish. He made up for it later by catching a huge Sea Bass. When one of us was getting low on air, we were at Deadmans and we did our 15 foot safety stop for 3 minutes. We had a long kick back to shore, but we were going with the swell which made it easier to come back to land than to go out towards sea.

No comments: